Overview and Mission
Computer Science Degrees and Programs
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Computer Science
- Masters of Science (MS) in Computer Science
- Doctor in Philosophy (PhD) in Analytics and Data Science
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Computer Science
- Minor in Computer Science
- Certificate in High Performance Cluster Computing
- Certificate in Robotics Programming
- Graduate Certificate in Computer Science Foundations
Our mission is to:
- To provide high quality degree programs for our students
- Deliver an outstanding educational experience with both academic rigor and applied skills
- To develop high quality scholarship products
- And to interact with local, national and international constituencies
Why Computer Science?
The Computer Science (CS) Department offers three degree programs: the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, the Master of Science in Computer Science, and the Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science. The ABET-accredited undergraduate program in CS is based on a strong technical foundation including programming principles, systems analysis, systems architecture, data communications, and database design and management. The CS degree program requires more upper-level mathematics. The MSCS program is perfect for working professionals who have IT industry experience and are interested in obtaining a graduate degree in computer science. The Computer Science Ph.D. program blends the highest level of theoretical foundations in Computer Science with the study of real-world problems. The curriculum is designed to prepare you for a career as a cutting-edge researcher or an experienced educator who can meet current and projected market demands for technological advancements in computing.
The department serves both traditional and non-traditional students. Many of our students work full or part-time, often in the computing field. Many are returning to school in order to finish work started many years earlier. To serve this diverse group, the department offers a full program at night as well as during the day.
The department has an active co-op/internship program employing students in organizations including, but not limited to IBM, Promina Kennestone Hospital, Hewlett-Packard, AT&T, Coca Cola Enterprises, Lockheed Aeronautical Systems, and Centers for Disease Control. Flexible work schedules are available including full-time, part-time, or alternating terms.
The CS department provides education that is practical, technical, analytical, quantitative, conceptual, and current. Fluent in Windows, UNIX, Oracle, C++, Java, Visual Basic, and many other technologies, graduates of the CS program at KSU are in high demand. KSU’s CS graduates are experiencing highly successful careers. Their job descriptions include systems analysis, programming, data communications, end-user support, database administration, consulting, and top management. Current annual salaries range above $100,000 with average salaries in the high 40′s for KSU grads. Employment growth in computer related fields is projected to continue to outpace that of most other occupations.